Monday 1 August 2011

Osagie’s Debut Senior Title Highlights OCWK results on Day Three of Aviva UK Champs and World Trials

WRITTEN FOR THE OCWK WEBSITE

Day three results:

Andrew Osagie’s commanding 800m victory and Emma Jackson’s close battle with Jenny Meadows to clinch two-lap silver were the key performances from seven OCWK athletes in finals on the third and final day of the championships in Alexander Stadium, Birmingham.


Men's 800m final:

Andrew Osagie proved his recent 1:45.63 lifetime best was a strong indicator of his championship form by dominating the event and pulling away in the final metres from reigning champion Michael Rimmer to win by almost a second in 1:46.84.

The 23-year-old Harlow AC runner – who was fourth in the European indoor Championships back in March – settled into third position from the offset before scorching into the lead at the bell with a 53.70 final lap.

Guided by Craig Winrow, a delighted Andrew revealed after clinching his first senior outdoor national title:

“The race went to plan and I was pleased to push on so well on the home straight.

“I’m on cloud nine and I’d really like to get the time for the World’s (at Crystal Palace) next weekend.

“I’ve already got the ‘B’ standard and I’m really enjoying training and my racing so much right now”

Women's 800m final:

Commonwealth fourth-placer Emma Jackson gave World bronze-medallist Jenny Meadows a run for her money in the final 100m to finish a narrow second in 2:02.48.

The 23-year-old City of Stoke AC athlete – who was fourth in this race last year and recently third in the Aviva British Grand Prix – stayed out of trouble at the back of the field until the bell, where she then unleashed a scintillating change of gear to jolt into third position.

Coached by Alan Morris, the 2:00.24 runner moved into equal first on the back straight and surged again with Meadows in the final furlong to only just miss out on her first senior national title.

Emma revealed afterwards:

“It was slower than I thought at first so I was shocked but held my nerve and made my move well. I’m hoping to make Daegu by getting the ‘A’ standard next weekend at Crystal Palace.”

Crawley’s 26-year-old Charlotte Best was disappointed to finish seventh in 2:05.75 after a below-par season so far.

The George Gandy-coached runner – who exited in the semi’s last year – explained:

“It didn’t go well – my legs felt awful and couldn’t get into a good position.

“I’ve had a few weeks away from training this year but still hoped for better - I’ve got Crystal Palace on Friday and then (the World University Games in) China so I hope to run well there.”

Men's 1500m final:

Future Stars with Kelly athlete Phillip Hurst finished an encouraging fifth in 3:44.14 after conserving his energy at the rear of the pack for much of the race.

The 20-year-old Elswick Harrier moved up into seventh position with 300m remaining and kicked strongly down the home-straight to enjoy a promising senior championship debut.

The Martin Crowe-guided runner finished just short of his 3:43.35 recent personal best and finished three-tenths ahead of Birchfield’s 23-year-old Mark Mitchell, who placed eighth in 3:44.44.

Mark, whose time was a new lifetime best, said afterwards:
“I’m quite pleased and moved through quite well. It was just really good to get through to the final and to also get a PB.”

Meanwhile, Kris Gauson of Edinburgh AC finished tenth in 3:46.76 and James Brewer languished in twelfth in 3:50.68.

The self-coached Kris, 23, explained afterwards:

“It was a bit disappointing after I ran so hard but it’s my first season as a senior and I’ve been racing since early January in the American season so now I’m going to freshen up and focus on the World University Champs (in China next month).”

Cheltenham’s 23-year-old James – who was in fourth position for the first two laps then seventh at the bell – was bitterly disappointed with his performance but has only been back running since April after suffering from a stress-fracture.

The Craig Winrow-coached runner (with a best of 3:42.38) revealed:

“It was rubbish, I just didn’t have anything to go on the last lap and it’s been a slow season anyway, coming back from the stress fracture but I’m really happy to be racing at least and I hope for top-two next year.

No comments: