Sunday 15 September 2013

2013 Great North Run – Medallist Quotes


Kenenisa Bekele (ETH) – winner:

“My injury was over three years and this time they are over and I’m recovered so I did good training and did well. I would like to run London if I’m invited.”

Mo Farah (GBR) – second place:

"Kenenisa’s a great athlete and has great experience. At some point, I honestly thought we’d dropped him and I said to Haile, the gap wasn’t enough for him not to catch us. You don’t want to lose but he’s a great athlete and it came right to the line.

“For me, my main aim this year was the World Championship but it was a great race with us all taking it on, it was awesome having the three of us.

“When Kenenisa went, I didn’t respond but you learn and now I’ll take my break and get ready for the marathon.

“It’s very exciting with Kennenisa stepping up to the road as well. We all get on well together, this is what the sport needs.”

Haile Gebrselassie (ETH) – third place:

“I know when I reached 18km, I don’t have enough speed to my only chance was to push.

“The two gentlemen did a good job, my time wasn’t too bad and I broke the world masters’ record by two minutes.

“I congratulate the organisers for creating this wonderful race, it’s a wonderful moment for all of us.”
Prischa Jeptoo (KEN) – winner:

“It’s a special day for me as I didn’t think I’d run such a special time so I’m very happy. I was very happy to run against them as they are very strong. Next I have the New York marathon in November.

Meseret Defar (ETH) – second place:

“I am tired from the World Championships so I had no time for recovery but I ran my best time and Prischa did very well. This is my last race for the year so now I will recover.”

Tirunesh Dibaba (ETH) – third place:

“I ran a good race, it is a good result for me at the end of the season.”

No comments: