Saturday 25 May 2013

BT Great Manchester CityGames winners quotes


Margaret Adeoye – women’s 100m winner -

“Oh my goodness it’s awesome, the crowds are amazing. It takes me back to the Olympics with everyone supporting me. I came to entertain you guys so I hope you guys are happy. He wouldn’t be happy with my time, but my coach (Linford Christie), just told me to come out here and go for the win!

“I have to be happy with the time as I haven’t done much strength work as I strained my hamstring at the end of April so to get a win and to stay in one piece, I’m happy.”

Dawn Harper – women’s 100m hurdles winner -

“I felt a little sluggish but the weather was so good, you had to perk up. I wanted to go out and execute which I didn’t really do that well but I won so I’m happy.

“It was different to be so close to the fans and interact with them, it was weird hearing a baby cry just before the start and almost have them shake your hand.

“I’m feeling comfortable with my training – we’re right where I want to be and I’m focused so I’ll be alright.

“It will be a really great race in Moscow and Sally will bring her ‘A’ game – we’ll be pushing each other faster again. There’s a lot more I want to achieve in this event and I’m still very motivated to win.”

Jonnie Peacock – men’s IPC T44 100m winner –

“I was a bit nervous running my first race since the Paralympics – I had a good start but have a few things at the end of the race to work on.

“It wasn’t as fast as I’d hoped – I do tend to get to 60m and then crumble but I’m happy and we have a few more months before the World’s so I’ve got time to work on it.

“It was really enjoyable – my first time running in the middle of a street, everyone was relaxed and here to have a good time – they should call this the BT fun games.

“London 2012 did so much for Paralympic sport and today is a big leap for us, we need to keep it in the public eye with televised events like this.”

Allyson Felix – women’s 150m winner - 

“It’s great – we don’t often get to run in an environment like this. This is my third time here and I previously ran the 200m so 150m was a nice change on the straightaway so it didn’t feel that bad. Racing in the streets takes you back to when you’re younger.

“I came back to training late and am easing back into things to build up to the World trials.

“My focus has certainly shifted a little bit – finally winning the Olympic 200m title has really lifted my confidence and now I’m really enjoying my training and have a different motivation now.”

Greg Rutherford – men’s long jump winner –

“Competing in front of the home crowd was amazing, they really got behind us, it was like being in a home stadium and they went wild which is exactly what we need to develop athletics – a lot of people struggle to get into the stadiums and it’s a great way of getting people involved in it, being able to nip into the shops at the same time – getting a close up
and personal view is the way forward.

“I felt a bit flat today and was a bit gutted to not get over eight metres but overall it wasn’t too bad. I did four rounds really quickly which drains you a bit.

“Being here as equal athletes rather than Olympians and Paralympians is exactly the way it should be. Jonnie is an amazing athlete and ambassador for the sport.

“Going into that stadium again will be very special, it will be full of crazed British fans and if anything, there’s a chance it could be better than the Olympics because there will basically only be track and field fans there this time. It will be emotional – that night, August the 4th completely changed my life and to go back out there is a fantastic opportunity which I can’t wait out to do. I want to keep winning and with that, confidence and big distances will come.”

Perri Shakes-Drayton – women’s 200m hurdles winner –

“I’m very pleased with today – my flat’s speed’s going really well and my hurdling’s been going well in training so to win today was good.

“Eugene will be my first 400m hurdles race which I’m looking forward to. I think PB shape will come nearer to championship time but it will be nice to do a good opener.

“I would love to do really well in the World Championships this year but we all want it so I need to stay injury-free.”

No comments: